Safe way to Eat Sprouts and stay healthy..
Sprouts are considered as wonder food because of its high nutritional benefits .Sprouts has become a integral part of our diet of all age groups as it is store house of Nutrients .Sprouts can be made at your kitchen cabinet itself.Sprouts can compensate all your nutritional deficiency because of this benefit sprouts are choice for the diet plan for diabetics and overweight.
What are Sprouts ?
Sprouting is simply a process of germinating seeds in which a tiny shoot arises from the seed. .Sprouted seeds, pulses and beans are collectively known as `sprouts’When seeds are soaked in water for a certain period of time, they germinate, causing their outer layers to tear open and allowing a young shoot to blossom.
What are the benefits of sprouts ?
- Sprouts are loaded with Vitamin C, A, and K, fiber, manganese, riboflavin, copper, protein, thiamin, niacin, vitamin B6, pantothenic acid, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium.
- Builds your immune system
- Helps in digestion
- Boosts blood circulation
- Helps in weight loss
- Improves eye sight
- Keeps your heart Healthy
- Promote healthy hair growth
Risk of Sprouts
It has been reported that raw and slightly cooked sprouts caused the outbreaks of foodborne illness mainly by E. coli and Salmonella This outbreak sickened more than 3,700 and killed 40 people. Sprouts need warm and humid conditions to grow — the same conditions are the ideal conditions for pathogens like E. coli and salmonella to thrive.
How can the risks of illness be reduced?
- Pregnant women ,Children, the elderly, and persons with weakened immune systems should avoid eating raw sprouts of any kind .
- Cook sprouts thoroughly to reduce the risk of illness. Cooking kills the harmful bacteria.
- Buy only fresh sprouts that have been kept properly refrigerated.
- At home, use clean sprouting vessels ,refrigerate sprouts at 40° F or below — in a clean refrigerator.
- Sanitize your hands properly before handling raw sprouts.
- Rinse sprouts thoroughly under running water before use.